This evaluation must be given at the midpoint of the semester in October or March
A consultant from CTE will visit a class for 50-75 minutes and, without the instructor being present, ask the students three questions about the class: 1) what has helped
them learn, 2) what has made learning difficult, and 3) what suggestions do they have
for change. Small groups of students discuss and answer these questions.
The consultant meets with the instructor and passes on this information.
- • Prior to our appointment, please announce to your students that a visitor will be
coming and that they need to show up to class on time
- • We strongly encourage you to introduce the evaluation to your class that day;
please read our philosophy page, and feel free to use it as a
reference in your introduction (click here)
- • At least 50 minutes of class time are needed to complete the evaluation
- • Please make sure a working overhead projector is available in the room
- You will need to arrange a follow-up consultation within a week following the
evaluation; debriefing normally lasts around 30-40 minutes.
Online course mid-semester evaluations, CTE will provide a master copy of
forms (with three open-ended questions) which will be emailed as a Google form
individually to your students. Students will then anonymously answer questions on
what is going well with the course of what may need clarification or improvement.
A CTE consultant will then schedule a consultation with the instructor to review to
discuss the observations and recommendations.
Upon request, a CTE staff member will arrange to visit a class session to observe the
teaching process. A CTE consultant will then schedule a consultation with the
instructor to review to discuss the observations and recommendations.
Availability: Throughout the course session
Online Evaluation Service Request - Sorry, this service is temporarily unavailable.
Please check back with us at a later date.
Review our philosophy page
CTE will provide a master copy of comment forms (with the above three Small Group
questions) which can be duplicated and distributed to your class. Students
anonymously answer questions on what is going well with the course of what may
need clarification or improvement. The instructor should review the forms and look for
key comments or student consensus. Forms may be delivered to the Center for Teaching Excellence, Kuykendall 107, for compilation to assure anonymity. Please make arrangements with us: firstname.lastname@example.org
*A follow up consultation with CTE staff is optional
Availability: October and March
P&P Evaluation Service Request
Review our philosophy page
Upon request, a CTE staff member will visit a class session to observe the teaching
conduct a peer review. A follow-up session is scheduled with the CTE consultant to discuss the
observations and recommendations.
- • Classroom observations are scheduled for 50 minutes; if your class runs longer please select which portion you are most interested in having observed.
- • Your consultant will arrive 5 minutes before class and take a seat with the class; it is your discretion as whether or not you want to acknowledge his/her presence to your students.
- • You will need to arrange a follow-up consultation within than a week following the evaluation; debriefing normally lasts around 30-40 mins.
Center for Teaching Excellence
Kuykendall Hall 107
1733 Donaghho Rd
University of Hawai'i at Manoa
Honolulu HI 96822